The load can be accessed through several hatches whose dimensions allow the unloading by crane.
Cargo capacity is expressed in dead weight tonnage (dwt) that the ship can carry at its maximum potential.
Bulk carriers are divided into different categories according to size:
- Coaster 5,000-12,000 dwt
- Handysize 20,000-35,000 dwt
- Handymax 36,000-49,000 dwt
- Supramax 50,000-64,000 dwt
- Panamax/Kamsarmax 65,000-82,000 dwt
- Post panamax/Mini Cape 87,000-115,000 dw
- Capesize 120,000-200,000 dwt
- Very large hours/bulk 220,000-400,000 dwt